Thursday, June 11, 2009

Getting Together for a Drink!

Many cultures have used sharing a glass of something or other as a means to express unity. Most of my family is Catholic so I've been to plenty of Catholic weddings where I witnessed couples drinking from a chalice during Eucharist. Shinto couples may have a san san kudo ceremony in which they sip wine to celebrate their marriage. A moddern Ár nDraíocht Féin Druid wedding ceremony may also include sharing a glass of wine, ale, or mead.

Sure, you could use a basic wine glass. But why not a fancy Chalisbury Grail from Museum Replicas? How amazing is that? Now of course, I always try to find local artisans, but Museum Replicas does have some nice and, usually, affordable merchandise for the theme-happy bride and groom. If you're hoping to have a Germanic inspired wedding, how about the Germanen drinking horn? Or if you're a Celtophile like myself, the horn of Cu Culainn may be just what you're looking for.

These horns are appealing to me because they're not from an actual bull. I'm a vegetarian who loves the idea of drinking horns, but I'd feel really hypocrytical drinking the standard Burger King leftovers. Until now, I had never seen a man made drinking horn. I'm impressed.

Of course, if you're an omnivore, Museum Replicas offers a traditional Viking drinking horn.

If you have any other ideas for historically themed drinking vesels, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment